Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I’m locked out of my room! What do I do???

A: Between the hours of 8:00am-8:00pm, you are encouraged to go to the Area Desk in Virginia Snider to get a temporary key.  You can also contact the RA On-Call during on-call hours (8:00pm-8:00am).

Q: My light is burnt out in my room! OR Something is broken in my room! What do I do???

A: You can submit a Maintenance Request by clicking HERE and our Facilities Staff will work to get it fixed as soon as possible!  After you login with your SMU ID and password, click on “Housing Maintenance” at the very bottom of  the left column.

Q: I want my bed lofted. How do I get that done?

A: First thing to note is residents are NOT permitted to do this on their own.  CLICK HERE for more info on lofting your bed.

Q: I want to see my housing contract. Where can I see what I signed?


Q: I received a Fire Violation because I had something in my room that is not allowed. Where can I get more info?

A: You can find more information on SMU Fire Safety Regulations HERE.

Q: Are those Floor Meetings truly Mandatory?

A: Yes! If you miss one, you may end getting charged because you missed important and crucial instructions!  Had you attended, you would know all of the information on how to avoid charges!

Q: I’m having a hard time at SMU and not sure who can help me. What resources are available?

A: There are many! We always recommend speaking to your RA first because even if they are not able to directly help you, they will know who to connect you with to get solutions.

Q: I’m bored. What is there to do in Upper Division?

A: Check out our Facebook Page, Orgs@SMU Upcoming Events page OR talk to one of your RAs! There are ALWAYS things to do on campus or in the Dallas Community.