History and Facts of Hawk House

Building History

Hawk House was built in 1951 as a part of the Perkins Theology Quad in order to provide housing for married students. The building's namesake is Eugene B. Hawk a former Dean of the Perkins School of Theology from 1933 to 1951. Hawk also served as the Vice President of SMU and briefly as the interim President in 1938. After he retired from SMU, Hawk went on to serve as the Associate Minister of University Park Methodist Church until 1962. In addition to being a residence hall for graduate students and families. the ground floor of Hawk House is also home to the SMU Child Care and Preschool Center.

Hall Features

  • Located behind the Perkins School of Theology, adjacent to Hillcrest
  • 34 apartments
  • Graduate and family community
  • Theology Commuter community
  • Hall lounge with cable TV (cable is not offered in individual rooms)
  • Family atmosphere

Apartment Features

  • One-bedroom apartments
  • Kitchens include a dishwasher, sink, stove, and refrigerator
  • Furnished with a double bed, sofa, desk , dresser, breakfast counter, and kitchen stools
  • Average square footage is 425
 

Building Address: 5906 Hillcrest Avenue Dallas, Texas 75205